By Simon DeVries
The observe Biblical statement offers the easiest in biblical scholarship, from the major students of our day who percentage a dedication to Scripture as divine revelation. This sequence emphasizes a radical research of textual, linguistic, structural, and theological proof. the result's sensible and balanced perception into the meanings of the textual content within the framework of biblical theology. those extensively acclaimed commentaries function unheard of assets for the pro theologian and teacher, the seminary or college pupil, the operating minister, and everybody interested by construction theological knowing from a superior base of biblical scholarship.
Overview of statement Organization
- Introduction—covers matters referring to the full e-book, together with context, date, authorship, composition, interpretive matters, objective, and theology.
- Each portion of the statement includes:
- Pericope Bibliography—a invaluable source containing an important works that pertain to every specific pericope.
- Translation—the author’s personal translation of the biblical textual content, reflecting the result of exegesis and getting to Hebrew and Greek idiomatic utilization of phrases, words, and tenses, but in quite stable English.
- Notes—the author’s notes to the interpretation that deal with any textual versions, grammatical varieties, syntactical buildings, uncomplicated meanings of phrases, and difficulties of translation.
- Form/Structure/Setting—a dialogue of redaction, style, resources, and culture as they hindrance the beginning of the pericope, its canonical shape, and its relation to the biblical and extra-biblical contexts with a purpose to remove darkness from the constitution and personality of the pericope. Rhetorical or compositional beneficial properties vital to realizing the passage also are brought here.
- Comment—verse-by-verse interpretation of the textual content and discussion with different interpreters, enticing with present opinion and scholarly research.
- Explanation—brings jointly all of the result of the dialogue in earlier sections to reveal the that means and purpose of the textual content at numerous degrees: (1) in the context of the ebook itself; (2) its that means within the OT or NT; (3) its position within the whole canon; (4) theological relevance to broader OT or NT issues.
General Bibliography—occurring on the finish of every quantity, this vast bibliography includes all assets used anyplace within the commentary.
Read or Download 1 Kings, Volume 12: Second Edition (Word Biblical Commentary) PDF
Best christian reference_1 books
What if heresy had grown in the church, maturing secretly over greater than a millennium, operating sick less than the canopy of correct trust and worship? This startling and provocative e-book argues that the traditional heresy of Docetism, reappearing in a sort resonant with its unique denial of Christ's physique, has introduced the Western church to its present country of disrepair.
A Chronological observation of Revelation unveils what many of us locate to be mysterious concerning the final booklet of the Bible. not like such a lot commentaries, notwithstanding, it does so by means of reorganizing the biblical textual content in order that it may be analyzed in chronological order. In so doing, the e-book is simple to learn from starting to finish, just like a narrative.
This observation at the Letter of Jude engages the Greek textual content and is designed for pastors, theological scholars, and lay readers. Jude, a brother of Jesus, warns participants of the early Jesus move opposed to intruders of their midst and exhorts these believers to not deviate from the elemental tenets of “the religion” in habit and trust.
During this observation, Paul Hoskins offers an obtainable advisor should you are looking to comprehend the booklet of Revelation. He issues out Revelation’s many connections to the outdated testomony, the theology of John, and biblical theology. He indicates how precious those connections will be for examining Revelation and appreciating its richness.
Extra resources for 1 Kings, Volume 12: Second Edition (Word Biblical Commentary)
1 Kings, Volume 12: Second Edition (Word Biblical Commentary) by Simon DeVries